I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

YL Purification Essential Oil Blend For Room Deodorizing and Insect Bites

I have had the opportunity to use one of my new Young Living essential oil blends in two ways in the last couple of days.

It's called Purification, and it contains citronella, rosemary, lemongrass, lavandin, Melaleuca alternifolia, and myrtle.


>As a room deodorizer: Our bedroom, which hasn't been aired out all winter, and has four people sleeping in it every night, really needed some air freshening. Following the directions in the pamphlet that came with my Young Living oils, I put a couple of drops in a Q-tip (they suggested a cotton ball-I improvised) and put it in the room. The pleasant scent diffused into the room, but wasn't overpowering at all. (I am sensitive to scents) I left the Q-tip in the room, and it still smelled nice the next day. I emphasize (because it would be important to me) that the scent was mild, pleasant, and wasn't irritating. It  successfully deodorized and refreshed the room. Because it was still diffusing, I moved the Q-tip to a bathroom. =)

>As a bug bite soother: My hubby has an area of skin that he said was itching him like crazy, and felt a little swollen, "like a bug bite." Again, following the directions in the YL brochure, I put a small amount of Purification oil directly on his skin. I asked him about 15 minutes later if his skin still itched. It didn't. Cool!

I'm starting to enjoy using the blends.

1 comment:

  1. I received this message from someone I know on Facebook:

    "This is GREAT for keeping mosquitos away too! We take it when we go to the drive-in. We put a couple of drops on a cotton ball and rub it along the edges of the cracked window (both glass and rubber edges). It works awesome! We can see the mosquitos buzzing around outside, but none come in. Also, good for sinus infections. Rubbed directly on the sinuses. Usually, I combine it with lavender for the inflammation.
    Don't you LOVE EOs?! "

    ReplyDelete