I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Summer With The Kids

The coming summer and all that it brings has been on my mind a lot. I will be home with both kids from mid-June until early September. That's a lotta lotta days. A lotta lotta HOURS. Sighs. Regardless, I have decided to do things differently this year. Last year I NEEDED DD to spend some at camp. For my sanity, and for hers. Though she is always reluctant to try new situations, it ended up being a good thing. For everyone. This year feels different.

For one thing, I am tired of trying to encourage DD to be someone she is not - a self-confident, outgoing kid who loves the opportunity to try new things. Some time ago I simply decided that she gets enough pressure from school, from social situations, from every day life. She doesn't need it from me too. Not more than what is necessary, ya know? So I'm stepping back, in several ways, and letting her be who she is, and experience new things when she's ready, and if she wants to.

Another reason for my rethinking this year is that DS is not a baby anymore. He wants to do stuff, too! He's still just a bit young for camp.

So, I'm foregoing summer camp this year. Does that mean I plan to just leave every day up in the air, to be whatever it is? Hell no! I know better than that. We all need stimulation of some kind, if just for part of the day.

I plan to set the week up with certain days for certain activities. Now I don't have it all worked out yet, but I know for sure that one day (or more) will be swimming day, and that we will rotate between the YMCA, the pool at our local park, and a lake beach we enjoy. I also know that we will be involved in a once-a-month nature program at our local park. And so forth. I hold a weekly play date at my home, and I plan to continue that during the summer. We could have playground/picnic day. We've got loads of playgrounds near by, and could rotate those. I am looking for programs that would accommodate all of us, too. Suggestions are welcome!!

Anyhow, I feel good about it. I know there will be days when I will feel overworked and underpaid (lol) but I think it's the way to go. Subject to change. =)

3 comments:

  1. I forgot one of my favorite plans for the summer: volunteer day! I hope to find at least one place the kids and I could volunteer each week. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just don't overschedule, pad in some lazy summer days. kids need time to just be. Being bored breeds creativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. But too much unstructured or unplanned time leads to 1) The house being destroyed 2) Nerves getting frayed 3) See 1 and 2 =)

    ReplyDelete