I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NRT - Appointment #3 and "Food Demystified" talk

Visit #3 at the Natural Health Improvement Center was last Thursday evening. I decided this time to make my appointment at a time when hubby could watch our son. I wanted to see how the clinical nutritionist responded to me when I didn't have a child with me. She did appear to be more relaxed. I'm sure I was, too. As directed, this time I had brought with me all all of the supplements I was taking. These included multi-vitamins, calcium, vitamin D, a probiotic (Jarro-Dophillus,) and the supplement she had recommended (Lact-Enz.) I informed her of my gut issues over the preceding week. She tested me (one arm out, the other hand holding each bottle/box in turn) and agreed with my theory that the two probiotics (Jarro and Lact-Enz) were causing my intestinal issues. There was no shock when she told me to discontinue the probiotic I had bought for myself and continue the one she had recommended! She did tell me to cut back from taking 4 each day to taking 3. (I implemented this plan 7 days ago, and I have had no further issues.) She took a look at my food diary, which admittedly was kind of sad. (Goofy grin) I had given up on the dairy and gluten thing when she did not give me much direction with it. She advised me to try making one meal each day dairy-free, gluten-free, and without any processed foods. Ok, now that is a plan I can work with! What else did she say......? Hm. Oh yes. She told me to up my vegetable intake. No problem. Though I can't say I've done a great job of that, but today I shopped and bought a bunch of stuff. So was that it? Oh, she also tested me (arm out and so forth) to see if the one eczema spot she's sort of focused on (I have many) has improved. Her report? Yes, I have improved. (I haven't) She presses my out-stretched arm, starting at the wrist and heading up toward my elbow. She told me that there are 10 steps. If 10 is reached, that area is healthy. I went from a zero to a two on that rashy spot. Hm. Not sure about that. But if I'm going to see this through, I have to follow what she says, and so. Oh, and she asked me how the wheat germ in the belly button was going. I informed her that I never received wheat germ. I did this time! And I've been doing it. Voo-doo. We'll see.

Also that evening at the Center, a talk was given by a young woman called Food Demystified. I missed some of the talk due to my appointment, but caught some. She had given a hand-out which included such things as a Good Foods List. She went through this with the group. (I can elaborate if there's interest - I could even photograph the page. Let me know.) The packet includes a small list of foods to avoid, including fairly obvious things such as fast foods, sugars and junk food. There were also suggested meal ideas and menus. (Which I especially appreciated!) I felt the talk was good, and I felt that it helped me to begin to get my $'s worth out of this whole ordeal, ya know? I will attempt to attend all such talks as I'm able. They are free. They strongly request that members bring friends, as this brings them business, of course. They give members incentive - each referred person results in the referring member receiving a free office visit. And so forth. Anyhow, I was glad I went. I did, in fact bring a friend, who says she enjoyed the talk. Cool.

I have mellowed myself into the idea of gradual change. I find that the easiest way to help myself make dietary changes is when I'm shopping. If I buy healthier items, that's what we have here to eat. I have bought some foods that were recommended by the CN at the Center, including Chobani yogurt. DS just devoured a container of it. I tasted it, expecting it to taste terrible, but it didn't. It was good. And not very expensive. Ok, cool. I also bought a package of red quinoa. I don't like quinoa, but I am going to try it again, and try it on the family. Why not?

Next appointment, Thursday eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment