I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Craft Show Goal

There is increased talk between hubby and me about how and when I will return to the work force. While it is still a while off, with DS home at least until a year from this September, I am thinking about what I will do.

Sometimes I muse about the idea of trying to earn an income doing what I enjoy - sewing. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I could do it from home, and my schedule would work around my other duties, which would be ideal. On the other hand, I really don't want to make my fun my work, as I don't want sewing to become a drag. It's fun for me, and it's my escape from my reality when I need it.

I have an online shop, but lost interest in putting in the work needed to make the shop really work. To turn an Etsy shop into a business, you really need to list items as often as possible. Every day if you can do it. And I just don't want to spend all of my sewing/free time making stuff to sell. It's more fun and far more rewarding to make stuff for my family and myself. But I still have the bug to see if the stuff I make could sell. So I've decided to compromise with myself.

I am planning to try selling my fleece hats at a craft fair in the fall. I don't know where, and I don't know when, but I will figure that out as time goes on. If I aim for August (or thereabouts) I figure I can create hats here and there, and not feel pressured to be constantly working on them. I figure with about five months to get my inventory together, I ought to have time to come up with enough interesting stuff to sell, and still have plenty of time to sew for us. I also figured that rather than have the hats just collect in the house, I could list them in my shop. No, it's not really fleece hat buying time as we head into Spring, but it doesn't cost much to list them, and perhaps they'll get a little attention along the line. It's also incentive for me to keep creating them, and to make them better and better. I took some time today to see what other fleece hats are offered on Etsy, and that also keeps me motivated to create better and better stuff.

I'm writing about this mostly to motivate myself. Having you read it keeps me honest, so to speak. I will share the hats as I create them, and will try to make them interesting. Perhaps you could give me some advice or suggestions. I'd appreciate it. And who knows. If I meet this goal and get a bunch of hats together, and follow through with finding and joining a craft show (something I've always wanted to try but haven't had the guts to follow through with) perhaps I will sell something. And perhaps I could make a little extra money. Will it put my kids through private school? Not a chance. But it would make me feel good. And it could help a little. And it's something I can work on now, even with my little guy at home.

Here's my first: not too creative yet, but a start. It's one color, with bells on top. My kids love these hats.
















































































2 comments:

  1. Oh, it's really cute, Dais! I have been thinking along the same lines as you...almost exactly! I can't possibly sacrifice all my time to make stuff for the shop--I just can't. At some point, after I'm done homeschooling, I'll have time to make regular sewing hours for the shop, but right now, I'm going in too many directions.

    Let me know how you do at the craft show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why there's a giant space between the pictures. I tried to reduce it..... I'm so blog clueless. Oh well! =)

    ReplyDelete