I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Monday, March 15, 2010

NRT - Reaction To The Supplements?

Just a quick update on my experiences with the Natural Health Improvement Center.... As I mentioned in a previous post, the NHIC counselor I am seeing has put me on Lact-Enz supplements. They are allegedly whole food supplements that are designed to help my body "heal" and become healthier.

Perhaps this is a coincidence, but twice in the past week I have woken in the night with roiling guts. Without going into too much detail, I've needed the rest room at odd times, and with a displeased digestive system. Both times I had a gassy belly with diarrhea throughout the morning. The first time I figured it was the Indian food I had eaten for dinner. It was a dish I hadn't tried before, but it was predominantly rice, so that shouldn't cause it. But Indian food is often cooked in ghy, or clarified butter, which could have been the culprit. But the second time I had eaten vegetarian chili with rice. Hm.

Anyhow, it could be the supplements. I had, in fact, asked the Clinical Nutritionist, who suggested them for me, if anyone had stomach or gut reactions to the supplements. She said on the contrary, they help the gut. Hm. Then there's this paper that came home with me from the center that reads, "Please keep in mind that our nutritional products DO NOT cause 'side effects' as they are not drugs. Occasionally after starting a nutritional program, you may feel a temporary worsening or even feel 'sick.'" ... "Sometimes these 'flare-ups' are actually a 'Healing Crisis' which indicates your body is starting to heal by throwing off toxins that have been keeping you sick. By fine-tuning your program, we can help you get through these types of situations much more smoothly, if they even occur...." And so forth.

It will be interesting to see what she has to say when I see her Thursday. Thursday evening I will also be attending a talk at the center called "Food Demystified." I am going mostly because it is included in my treatment, and I feel that it will help me to feel that I am getting closer to getting my money's worth. Secondarily, it is strongly recommended. Once form actually says that attending at least one program within the first hour weeks of "treatment" is required, though I'm not sure how they can "require" anything. But anyhow. I'll let you know what that is like!

FYI....



Lact-Enz®
Introduced in 1988
Standard Process Fundamentals

Lact-Enz is a gastrointestinal support product that combines digestive enzymes with normal intestinal flora. The combination of these ingredients assists in the breakdown of macronutrients and maintains a healthy intestinal environment.†

Here's a more thorough explanation of what Lact-Enz is and what it does. LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment