I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Essential Oils - Peppermint For Sinusitis

I have been suffering from daily sinus pressure for a number of weeks now. It's worst when I've been home a lot. I am reacting to something in the house. In the last couple of days some other symptoms have added themselves to this: exhaustion, scratchy throat, sneezing. Well, sneezing isn't new. But anyhow, I caught DD's slight upper respiratory infection. So I decided to pull out the oils.

My little pamphlet from Young Living states "Topical Use - (dilution may be required) - Rub 1 drop on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (avoid contact with eyes), and on the back of the neck to help soothe head pressure."

Good enough. I tried it. Neat. Wow! It's like putting Ben-Gay on sore muscles. You definitely feel it. I don't know how to explain the sensation, but it feels almost cold. Whether or not it aids in the sinus (or other head) pressure, it certainly distracted me from that discomfort, and in a good way. It did not last for a long time, but for an hour anyhow. I have used it twice more so far. I will say that putting peppermint oil near the eyes can cause your eyes to water. It's strong stuff! You may want to dilute it (almond oil, or another carrier oil) to put it on your face.

It's been hours since I started with this experiment. Maybe 9? I've applied it three times today. I no longer feel the pressure in my sinuses. I have also been away from home since this morning, which may be helping, too.  But I would definitely use it again for sinus pressure.

*Update... ok, it's nearly 10pm, and I have reapplied the peppermint oil a couple more times. I have gotten braver about spreading it around more, and wow, what a difference it is making! Previous times I had forgotten to put the oil on my forehead. The last couple of times I did. And I spread it a little further around the back of my neck. I am cautious on my sinuses because the oil is strong, and it does create a vapor that I don't want in my eyes. But man, I love the over all effect this has! It does need to be reapplied every couple of hours, but it feels great and seems to work well. I can definitely tell when it's wearing off. But I'm officially recommending it. Give it a try!

>Just a quick note...I would recommend washing your hands after applying the oil - this one or any one. You don't want to accidentally get these oils in the wrong place. They are super concentrated, and they're strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment