I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Food and Mood

I decided a while back that one key to feeling better, both for myself and for my kids and hubby, is to eat better. Well, duh, right? But isn't it one of the hardest habits to start and maintain? I think so. But I want to....I want to..... So I restart and restart and restart. I joined the local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture-organic farm-fresh produce each week during the growing season) again this year. And I am buying lots of fruits when I get to the store. Which is infrequently, so we go through it very quickly and are then out for a while. And when I make something healthy to eat, the kids love it. SOOOO. What is the problem? I don't like cooking! I don't like shopping! I don't like the process. However, the process is here and isn't going anywhere, so I have no excuse but to make our meals healthier. Maybe these will help:



I'll share what I learn...for now, I just need to get cracking with a meal list and a shopping list for the rest of the week. Gotta get some good stuff in this house. We're still working on two birthday cakes....I think I'll save reading about the evils of sugar until next week! ;)

Ah geez. All I did was pick up the book on the right and randomly flip to some pages in the middle. Geez. =(

Here's a random weird food thing. When I eat cold foods, I get cold. It's almost instant. I just ate some cold pasta. Not that much. And I'm freezing. Yeeks.

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid I don't do very well when it comes to preparing lots of healthy, home-cooked meals. I just don't have the energy most of the time, or am spending the time taking care of my son. (Of course, we could benefit by eating healthier, so I'm thinking about how to do that.)

    Anyway, here's what I usually do. I cook a big batch of ground beef (grass-fed, organic -- could anyone recommend a place to get that locally?) once a week, and brown basmati rice (Lundberg, organic) every week and a half. Then I keep organic carrots and kale (or cabbage) in the fridge. Almost every day I pull out a couple carrots, or a few leaves of the kale, wash them, and eat them (and offer them to my 3-year-old). We have the ground beef and rice every day, with a big serving of frozen broccoli warmed up on top. I also feel a lot better if I have a tall glass of tomato-veggie juice every day. I add a little sunflower oil, and take my vitamins with that and a couple brazil nuts (that I found at Green Grocer on Rt 9 just north of Grooms Rd in Clifton Park). Another key for me seems to be eating something spicy every day. I like the frozen Tandoor Chef brand chicken curry. I add a big serving of brown rice, and eat half of it at a time if I'm not that hungry. I also like the Deep Indian Gourmet brand samosas. Neither of these is organic, though. I also eat a Green and Black's chocolate-with-almonds bar every day, especially when I'm feeling sluggish. Another dish that goes over well is granola with nuts. I get the kind that doesn't have much sugar since I seem to have some sort of yeast problem, and can't eat much sugary stuff without feeling really tired later. When we are away from the house, I bring a few slices of bread (Heidelberg French peasant -- can get it at Pricechopper -- not organic) and a banana for my son and I to snack on.

    I don't do well with foods that have preservatives, so we don't eat out very often.

    I think we need to get more vegetables every day, but am still working on how to do that in a way that's simple and doesn't take much time. (I'm thinking about going back to work, so am trying to keep things simple.)

    ReplyDelete