I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Birthdays

Tomorrow is my birthday.

My sweet daughter keeps mentioning it. She has started twice to make me a birthday card. She has mentioned several times that we should invite people over. When it got too close to send invitations, she suggested we call people. She wants to go buy party hats and supplies, and asked me where we buy them. She told me she needs to buy me secret presents. She doesn't understand why we aren't planning a party. For her, her brother and their father, we start planning weeks ahead. The thing is, I'm the party planner. It's just not hubby's thing. He mentions it a few weeks before my birthday most years, so he does think about it. And he suggested a dinner out with friends. But it doesn't happen. We have a nice family party, and that's nice. I admit that last year I was a little disappointed. I turned 40. And yeah, it was just another day, but to me it was kind of a punch in the gut. No one knew. It made me kind of sad. When did that happen? How? Why would having a party make a difference? Being connected with Facebook made me aware of many of my peers also turning 40, and the bashes that many of them had. Blah. I was a little envious. What is wrong with me, feeling sorry for myself like this? We make our own happiness, after all. So here I am, this year, in the same stupid boat. Feeling sorry for myself for getting older (dumb) feeling blah because it is February (fixable - get outside) and wishing, for myself and my DD, that we had something fun planned. And every year hubby tells me he feels bad because we haven't planned something fun.

Well. It seems as if the answer is in the question. If I want a party, I have to plan it. There's nothing wrong with that! So I think I will. Yeah! I could get into this. =)

So I just told my DD, who is working on my birthday card at this moment, that I am thinking about planning a party. She immediately got into, and suggested we make it a beach party, with a paper sun hung up. Fun! =) Wanna come?

No comments:

Post a Comment