I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Er...Uh....

I am having blogger's block. I haven't had a good blog inspiration in a while. Random thoughts have been about diet and mood/health, my stupid aching neck, nature, essential oils....but no fully formed thought. So I guess I'll comment on my random semi-thoughts today, and see where my mind goes tonight and tomorrow (if anywhere.)

Diet and mood/health: I started reading The Food Revolution by John Robbins today. Oh boy. Within a couple of pages I was lamenting my terrible diet. Yeah. It's one of those books. Though he says one should not feel guilty for their diet, nor their illness resulting from years of eating poorly. But yikes. He compares a number of studies that ultimately state that one is much more likely to be, and remain, healthy if one eats a vegetarian or vegan (vegetarian plus no diary or eggs) diet.

My neck: Well, the discomfort is back today, but it's weird. It feels like a heavy, tired head, then it's sinus discomfort, then it's my neck, then back to one of the others. Weird. I put PanAway essential oil on my neck and shoulder area this a.m. (thanks, hubby =) ) and whether it helped or not I'm not sure. But this discomfort is becoming chronic, and that is a concern.

Essential oils: Still learning and playing around. Nothing ground-breaking today.

So that's it. I finished a pj shirt I created for myself out of knits that I had in my stash. That was fun. The arms are too long, oh well.

We've had a nice Valentine's Day. My 5-year-old was bubbling with enthusiasm, and I believe she expected it to be more than it was. I never get to shop by myself, so I didn't have anything for anybody. But I like the idea of steering away from holidays and such being all about buying and gifts and more about love and togetherness anyhow. DD and I went to a craft class yesterday, and I made cards for everyone there. DD got some stuff while at the store with Papa. I created a simple bow out of some pretty pink ribbon, and pinned it to her shirt. I told her it was filled with love. She plans to wear it every day. =) I took a bath earlier to try to relax my neck muscles, and a short while later both kids were in the tub with me. Hubby came into the room, and we all enjoyed some relaxing time together. We have lots of love. It's warm, and nice.

I wish love and happiness to everyone everywhere, today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment