I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holistic living

I need a change. In a big way. I am feeling unbalanced and unhappy. I know what I need. I have gotten derailed (not that I've ever gotten completely ON the rails...it's a process!) I have believed for a long time that life and happiness is a balance. If something is not right in one area, it tilts the whole scale, and everything is off balance. Once in a while something is put in front of me that helps me to steer back in the right direction. Today that was a person I have known for a very long time, but have only recently gotten reconnected with. This is a person who I knew as a child. In fact, she is the younger sister of a person I spent a lot of time with as a child. So I never knew her personally very well, but saw very often. In any event, because of the phenomenon that is Facebook I have gotten reconnected with this person as an adult, and I'm finding that we have some really neat things in common. While I strive, day to day, to find ways to be more green, she strives, day to day, to live a holistic lifestyle. Because of her, I have done some reading about what this means, and am delighted to discover that it exactly what I am striving for. It is what I feel I need, and my family needs, to get closer to happiness and good health. I am worlds away. As I write this, I am munching on butter flavored popcorn from a bag, and drinking a Mike's Hard Lemonade. Yeah, I know. If I know I would feel better without it, why do I consume it? I don't know. It's a quick fix, at a time when I'm so busy I feel the need for quick fixes. Pathetic. I feel that if I can work hard and get myself to the place I want to be, it will be a system that basically runs itself. If we eat holistically, or as close as I can get us, we can compost our garden with healthful things, and grow healthful things with the rich soil. And so forth. So why is it so hard to get there? I don't know!! To say that life overwhelms me is an understatement. The knowledge that all I need is to rebalance my world is not getting me there. What to do? How to start? It's not hard. Perhaps I just need to make a schedule for myself. I work well with schedules and set plans. Daily tasks. Perhaps that's the place to start. I know that if I lead, my family will follow. I've seen evidence of that again and again. And that's ok, I don't mind leading. But it's good to have my (new?) old friend for support. 

So. Why is it not ok to eat oranges in a holistic diet??? And no coffee? Shoot, just kill me now. Sugar is out, of course. Tell that to my kids! No beef? Yeeks. I guess we all just do the best we can...

No comments:

Post a Comment