I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holistic balance through feng shui? - Update

I am not a neat person. Repeat. It does not come naturally to me to keep things tiny or to get rid of thing. I am terrific at making piles, though! I am fantastic at cluttering every surface! You get the point. So following the idea that a neat space will help create a calm and relaxing environment, I have given myself two tasks to complete today. The first was to neaten up the shelf over the fireplace. I did that one early. The shelf had two ornamental rabbits, a Christmassy moose doll, a stuffed animal frog, some fireplace paperwork, a Precious Moments bride and groom, three framed photos, two unframed photos, and dust. (Am I forgetting anything?!) Now the shelf has the PM bride and groom, two unframed photos, and the fireplace paperwork. Wow! My mother's picture hangs right above the shelf and she is smiling her approval. I am smiling, too. =)

Oh, the other task? To fold and PUT AWAY all of the laundry. I have been trying to follow Flylady (flylady.com) in order to try to get more organized, and she says to do a load of laundry each day. (How awfully UNgreen....babysteps....) So I have been. And the laundry goes from the drier to the couch, to the baskets, upstairs to the bedroom.....and eventually put away. SO, there is laundry on the couch, there are various piles of folded laundry, there's a basket or two of folded laundry in the living room, and there are several in the bedroom. I attempted, at one point, to delegate the putting away task, but that failed. SOOOO.....it is my task today to fold and put it ALL away. Today. We'll see about tomorrow!!


I'm putting this picture in here to embarrass myself into completing this task. (grin)

1 comment:

  1. It worked. I kept the photo up on the computer and it motivated me to get all the laundry put away. I don't like the process, and there was a lot to do, but really, it didn't take me very long at all. I had 10 minutes before I had to leave the house, and I put it all away. And I feel good about that! Now, to keep it up....

    ReplyDelete