I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

A failure and a victory

Well, today I completely fell off the green Christmas card band wagon. I started to make one online, and I'm just not clever enough to make it look cool. And hubby has offered to address all of the envelopes (yeah!!) So, I have chosen a photo card online. Yeah, I feel a bit guilty, but I'm going a little easy on myself. It's December, which is a busy and stressful month, and as an attachment parent to two, I simply don't have time to figure the online thing out in time. Lame? Yeah, maybe, but my path to a more green and more holistic way of life is a PROCESS. So...

I am feeling really good about my meal plan and recent grocery shop. Lots of fruits, veggies, beans, grains and the like. Very little junk (salami and cheese.) I have plans to make lentil-bulgur salad! Sound like cardboard? Nah. It's got lots of yummy stuff in it that will make it palatable. I'll let you know how it is. There are other recipes, too. 

But the kids' program has ended (tv is another topic for another day....) so .... good night, all!

1 comment:

  1. I say go easy on yourself. You're the mom of youngers,yes? If so, yeah--give yourself some space to make changes that last, rather than making changes that are quick. Just like for any lifestyle change, it's a process and takes much longer than you think it will, but the more you find choices that you can live with, the easier it will be to make those choices, because they will make sense. You're doing great! Baby steps!

    ReplyDelete