I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Privacy

I have no privacy in my life. Zero. This morning I asked hubby if he'd watch the kids for a quick five minutes while I went upstairs to get cleaned up and dressed. Mind you I'm not asking for a full cleansing shower with eucalyptus soap and hair washing-just a quick cleansing so I feel as if I'm starting the day fresh. About a minute and a half into said cleansing my dear 5 peers in, then walks into the room. Ok, I don't hide from my kids when I shower or dress or whatnot, but once in a while, having this time to myself would be nice. I'm not saying this is anyone's fault. I need to ask for what I need. But when I think through my day, I really have no privacy. First thing in the morning, I am woken by the kids. We sleep in the same bed, so .... it's really, really first thing. Now before you American traditional parenting types jump all over that, I LOVE sleeping with my children, and wouldn't change it. I've done so for 5 1/2 years. I am an attachment parent. I was one before I knew there was a term for it. Again, I wouldn't (couldn't!) change this fact. So I choose total immersion. That doesn't mean I don't need me time. What I do need is to create it for myself. Changes in our way of doing things may cause waves, but the seas always settle down and everyone adjusts! I think I will start by asking hubby to plan on watching the children for five minutes each morning to allow myself time to dress and whatnot. To date, hubby has remained pretty detached in the morning, taking his time upstairs to get ready. (This morning it was almost 30 min.) He puts himself first. Good for him! For a while I resented that fact. Even on weekends. Every weekend. He'd wait for us to get up and go downstairs before he'd even get out of bed. I should say that in the present tense. But it does no good to be resentful. So that's another thing I'll change. One morning will be his, and one mine. I do anticipate disappointment.....however, the seas will settle! We have implemented taking turns with breaks on weekend mornings, and that has been great. I posted about that a while back. We turned highly stressful, un-fun Saturday mornings into relaxed, fun ones. As always, it comes down to me figuring out what I need and making it happen for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment