I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ow! Yoga vs. chiropractic or other intervention

In the past few weeks, I have developed an almost chronic pain in my upper back/neck region. It feels like muscle fatigue, but it's hard to say. I tend to hold my tension in this area as well, but I'm ruling that out as I'm not terribly tense. (Or at least I'm not aware of being terribly tense...) My tendency is to turn to yoga for this sort of thing, and that usually does the trick right away. That's what I've done this time, with good results, but if I skip a DAY the ache finds its way back. My shoulders are uneven, and have been for years upon years. I blame this on carrying terribly overloaded back packs on one shoulder (left) for year after year after year. (that's a topic for another day - kids have TOO MUCH STUFF to carry around for school!!!!!) I also have either carpal tunnel syndrome or scalenus anticus syndrome (sp) depending on who you ask. Either way, if I do any repetitive motion stuff with my hands, I get tingling in both hands, sometimes pain during the night, and occasionally stiffness in the morning. So I'm starting off with a deficit to be sure! However, I've never encountered a pain that I wasn't able to ultimately manage and make go away. I am wondering what to do. I have been considering seeing a chiropractor. I have never been. I have been curious for a long time. An MD who I trust and adore, my father, does not feel this is the way to go. But so many others swear by this kind of treatment. I just don't know. I carry my kids every day, I don't get enough exercise, I never sleep perfectly (though recently very well, thank you children!) Perhaps I should try daily exercise and yoga first. But ouch. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment