I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Nothing Nothing Nothing

I have had nothing to say. Nothing. Not one inspiration. I think of it as my "maintenance" phase. At the voodoo center (as I call it - the Natural Health Improvement Center) a client goes through an initial period where the person's treatment is figured out, then the maintenance phase, then the something else - I forgot. But blog-wise, I seem to be in a maintenance phase.

So I guess I'll just update on things that are going on with me.

My biggest challenges at the moment are: Finding time to exercise. Really. I have tried to exercise to the Wii during the day with DS, but after an initial interest that lasts about 1 minute, DS wants to me turn it off with "I don't like this game!" Sighs. Hubby and I have not exercised together in weeks. We were doing it at night after the kids go to sleep, but I'm simply too tired for that. I'm either falling asleep with the kids, or spending about 30 min. with hubby then conking out. So the best I am managing at the moment is to try to exercise in the back yard when I can convince DS to go out. While he plays in the sand box, I jump on the trampoline. While he wanders around the yard, I jog after him. It ain't much, but it's something!

Another challenge is finding time to re-bond with hubby. We really don't spend much time together without it being "family time" which means we may be in the same room, but we're both completely engaged in some child-related something or other. We try, periodically, to get out to dinner together, but with two babysitters who are both very busy people, it doesn't happen often. And at day's end, I'm simply too tired to be much company. I used to stay up every night to watch a Netflix or whatever with him, but I get so tired I can't stand myself anymore, so I simply can't. I know that after a few days or a week of staying up with him I'll be cross-eyed. I do it anyway. Otherwise I don't see him at all. Ak! Then a night comes when I fall asleep while putting the kids to bed. I can't help it! Sighs. And so.

One area that's been challenging but in which I am making progress is diet. I am trying. I am eating better breakfasts. I am trying to cut out sugary crap cereal and that kind of thing. I'm trying to replace "nutrition" drinks for the kids with smoothies with all the goodies in them. I have been snacking less at night. Of course, being asleep helps with this. :/ I am finding that as I make better choices, I crave better things. That's not always true. After a week of eating well, sometimes I purge. Yesterday I had a burger for lunch with fries............ and last night I was snacking on popcorn and chips..... BUT, it's a process, and I want to eat well and feed the family well. Last weekend I planned out the meals for this past week. And it was great. I love having a plan and having all of the ingredients on hand. It makes things so much easier. It's a pain...coming up with meals and a shopping list and all....which is why I fall off the wagon with this....but when I can get myself to do it, it's great. So I did it again this weekend. And when I do it, hubby sometimes gets into the act, and plans his meals. Cool! So, onward with this goal. Onward.

But overall, I'm doing well. I'm no longer the grouch that I became when I was so depleted. I'm not yelling these days. I hated that me. I'm still not back to ever feeling rested, but I can see that on the horizon. Finally! And so on. So that's it. My maintenance phase. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment