I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

NRT - 4/7 appt.

Today both DS and I had an appt. at the Natural Health Improvement Center. (NHIC) I told them a while back that I wasn't sure I was going to keep DS as a patient. I figure he'll benefit from whatever improvements I make. They agreed, but have him coming once a month. Ok. So Aimee saw us both today.

She asked me how I'm doing. That is a rather general question, but I told her that I have some difficulty with eating well. She wanted to know when I have the most trouble with this. I told her that after the kids go to bed I watch tv and eat junk food. The fact is, this is a nightly routine for me, and I eat a LOT. I am just as happy with healthier foods much of the time, but I eat what I can grab. So I grab Doritos, chips, and other wholesome things. =/ So she directed me to eat less bad stuff. She also asked me what else I could be doing while watching tv. I sort of jokingly said "knit." She then wanted to know where else I  had trouble with foods. Try everywhere and every meal. But what I said was that I could use some direction with recipes for breakfast. She wanted to know exactly what our schedule was in the morning, what time we eat, and who is there. I told her that DD does not eat at school. She concluded (as have I) that DD needs the best nutritional start to the day that she can get. I told her that we've been trying smoothies with some success (not too much, but some) and she suggested adding protein powder. Ok, easy enough.

She asked me if I've been giving DS the 1 daily Lact-Enz supplement she recommended last time. I told her I hadn't been. She blah-de-blahd about how healthier eating is good but is not enough....blahblah. Ok, I agreed to try it this time. And I meant it.

She did NRT testing (pushing my arm down while touching different areas on me and on DS, and while I/she held various bottles of supplements.) She told me she was putting me on another supplement to begin the "healing" process. This one is called Dermatrophin. Twice a day.

She said, after testing us both, that we are improving. I do see a difference in our skin, but who knows what is doing it. Maybe the NHIC is helping us. Maybe the essential oils are helping us. Maybe the nicer weather is helping us. Probably all of these things are working together to help us. Right now we're both having good skin days. Subject to change!

I tend to forget things that Aimee said as I"m writing my updates, but I'll add stuff as I remember! But that was the gist of it. I go back next week, DS goes back next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment