I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Essential Oils For Eczema IN CHILDREN

I recently posted about my success with using bergamot oil for eczema for myself. I have received a few replies from folks who have kids with eczema. I appeal to you with children. Essential oils are great for kids! But not ALL essential oils. In fact there are a number of EOs that are NOT recommended for use on children.

After receiving those messages, I referred to the book Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child by Valerie Ann Worwood. She has a few recommendations, which include soothing oat baths, a calamine lotion mix, a vegetable oil bath, an anxiety relieving bath and an oil mix. Bergamot is part of the oil mix, but it is a small part. I am happy to share more information on any of the above. For single essential oils, she recommends the following:

Camomile German (which I have used with good results)
Yarrow
Lavender*
 Elemi
Ho-wood
Palmarosa

*Please note. Lavender essential oil has been linked to hormone disruption in boys. (I don't have the link handy, but a Google search would bring it up) It is an issue with daily use (from shampoo, etc.) I use it occasionally in the bath, and I'm not overly concerned about it. But do your homework just so you know the facts. Basically the two boys with the symptoms had enlarged breasts due to chronic exposure, and in both cases the condition resolved itself with the removal of the oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment