I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Monday, May 17, 2010

Worms Done Right! A Worm Composting Update

So here I am, the proud owner of a worm bin, with active worms working away inside. I was excited about the bin, and wrote about it right away. I included pictures, and a step-by-step outline of how we put the bin together.

And then I heard from Liz. What I had proudly put together was basically the worst environment for my poor worms! Let me tell you about Liz!

Liz, or as her website describes her, the "Texas Worm Chic" is a worm composting expert. She is passionate about worm composting, and about teaching others what she has learned along the way. After receiving her kind message on my blog, I sought out her website. Called WormBinComposting.com, it is a treasure trove for those interested in worm composting! She covers every aspect, from setting your bin up to harvesting the fabulous soil. As I told her, I so wish I had found her website before I set up my bin. I had gotten my information from the internet, and had searched on Google. What I came up with was step-by-step instructions for setting up a less than perfect worm home. How bad I felt! I quickly devoured everything on her website, which is very thorough. Liz has a question and answer section on her website (how cool is that) which I quickly put to use. I wanted to know if I should redo my bin. She receives lots of questions from folks, and manages to respond very quickly. She also has a yahoo group, and communicates with members by email loop. That way anyone in the group can share information, and everyone benefits from the information that Liz shares. I love it. But it gets better!

After chatting with Liz through her website and through email, she suggested I check out her online worm composting class. While curious, I wondered how a class would be helpful when her website seemed so complete. I checked it out, and it was totally worth it. She takes you step by step through the process of setting up a worm bin, caring for it, feeding the worms, and harvesting, and everything in-between. And she does it with brief video clips of herself doing the work! For someone like me who is more of a visual learner, this type of "class" is very helpful. Once the class is paid for, you can watch the videos again and again, as often as you need to. I love that, because I'm one of those who needs to watch something a thousand times to get it just right, no matter how simple. (I'm a little distractable...yeeks.) Anyhow, I can't wait to start again, and get it right. =)

Liz was kind enough to offer to answer any questions anyone might have about worm composting, right here on my blog! How cool is that? So bring it on!

I suggest to anyone interested in worm composting that you check out her website, and go take her online class. The class costs $5.00. Here is the link:

www.wormbincomposting.com/wormcompostingclass.html

By the way, you can also order worms from Liz. She's got enough to go around!!

If I sound like an advertisement for the Texas Worm Chic, I am. I am truly happy to have found her (well, that She found ME) and I am hopeful that I can bring some business her way as way of thanks. =) And worms are fun. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment