I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Candida Diet - Maintenance Phase

I have been on the anti-candid diet since Christmas eve. And I have to say it has not been a hard diet for me to stick with. I like it! How strange. To be fair, I still drink coffee every morning (against the rules) and I take metamusil in water about every other night or so, which is flavored and sweet. (Definitely against the rules) Other than these two transgressions, I have been very good about sticking to the "ok foods" list. I never did experience the belly upset I got on the GAPS diet, and my bloated belly has discontinued. Occasionally I get an edgy belly, and I have yet to figure out what is causing it, but it's still early on in the process. I have discovered that replacing meals like breakfast with nuts and seeds is not the best idea. =) My belly doesn't like that. Ok, ok. I've got to be better about creating good breakfasts for myself. That has always been true. It's my toughest meal. But I have also been experiencing this:

Heartburn. For about 4-5 nights in a row, I was getting indigestion. Heart burn. Very unusual for me. I wasn't sure what it could be. Someone told me once that fish oil caused them to get heartburn, but I've been taking fish oil, 2-3 times a day, for months and months. I wondered if it could be the lemon juice I use as salad dressing. Just by fate, I did not have salad for the last two nights. And I have not had heartburn for the last two nights. And I have taken the fish oil both evenings. Hm. Could it be that simple? Could it be that I'm greatly reducing the amount of nuts and seeds I'm consuming during the day. I will experiment and see what it could be. But because it went on for so many days in a row, and always in the evening/night time, I'm pretty sure it's something I'm eating every day. So it's a process of elimination. I will post back!

My favorite foods on this diet? Guacamole, salads with lots of veggies, lemon juice salad dressing.

*Next day* Just popping in to say that tonight I had my fish oil, Metamusil, and salad with lemon juice dressing. I had some nuts/seeds, but way fewer than I had been eating. And tonight I have no indigestion. At least not yet. Hm. I'm a bit surprised. I kinda thought it would turn out to be the lemon juice. But it's looking more like the nuts/seeds. Maybe I'll do some research on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment