I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Why Am I Like That? (child anxiety)

This post has been deleted.

4 comments:

  1. there are ways you can stay there for those occasional classes. Things like being a teachers assistant. The PE class we took a couple yrs back I used to sit in the hallway and talk w/ other moms while the kids did the class. But another option would have been to sit in the gym with the class but be off to the side reading a book. What is the purpose of school? To me it is to give children a lifelong love of learning. It's to teach them how to read, write,do math, science, and know history. To know for themselves where to go when they want to know something. Children are always being told we are not here to socialize but to learn. So you do school at home. For the social stuff it doesn't have to be in your school moments. But instead some kind of theropy. You can start w/ park playdates. Working on getting her to go play while you sit on a park bench. Baby-steps is the way we progress, not jumping in the deep end. The reason you want her to big things now is because those are the things you feel are "normal" for her age. I have had those moments many times. When I throw them in we both end up frustrated and tears flow. I worry that I'm sqrewing up my kid, that it's too late. But if I just slow it down, we heal and then we move forward. Homeschool isn't all or nothing. You try it for awhile, if it doesn't work for her you change tracks. hugs. You are seeing yourself and your daughter right now. Pray for guidence on how to help both of you succeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You are right. We have to find what will work right now, and change that as need be. One challenge to staying at the classes with her is that I have another child. Ideally I could find classes that would take both of them. My son may be in traditional preschool next year. I don't know. It is also getting hubby on board. As far as social stuff goes, she does very well with other kids, and given the right environment, she will run off and play with other kids. She is reluctant to go to the homes of other kids, and is unwilling to talk to most adults, though she is branching out with this, on her own. Homeschooling would work if we decide to make it work. It's making the decision that's hard... And yes, you are right. When I expect my DD to do or try something that she's simply not ready to do, we both end up frustrated. I have to follow her lead more, and just keep exposing her to situations where she can hopefully become less anxious and gain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found classes and groups where little ones are welcome. takes a little while to get plugged into your homeschool area but after awhile you do and you find what fits u. I have even been in a group before that they had nursery for the kids not in classes. But this yr we are trying a different kind of group where you stay w/ the kids instead of drop off. it's a better fit for me. but oh gosh I remember when we tried gymnastics and they wanted me to one on one help Chance through the activities. That didn't work because at the time I also had Braxton. So we found the Homeschool PE program and got a membership to the childrens museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess as with anything, you just have to find how you fit and make it work for you. We have been doing Kindermusik with both kids and they love it. Not sure how we'd do foreign language though............ A homeschool PE program would be great.

    ReplyDelete