I'm on a journey to find health and happiness through a more holistic and green lifestyle.

I find the world to be abrasive. =) That is to say, I feel the need to armor myself, physically and emotionally, in order to face life. Don't we all? Maybe. For whatever reason, it has become a priority in my life to rid my immediate environment of irritating things. And I'm sensitive! So there is much work to be done. But. I have thought for a long time that the things I come in contact with every day, and the stuff used to clean and maintain these things, need to be gentle and non-toxic. I have had eczema my entire life. For a long time I just dealt with it, and accepted that sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's not, and that it will fluctuate a lot. Gradually over time I have come to find that certain things, fabrics, cleansers, materials, are more irritating to my skin than others. Stress can exacerbate it. In more recent times, I have realized that every aspect of my life improves when I improve conditions for my skin. Hah! What a concept! Thus my (long time) interest in going green, and my more recent desire to live a more holistic lifestyle. (I think I've felt a desire for a long time to live in a harmonious way with myself, my surroundings, and nature, but didn't have a name for it.) Anyhow, this blog is a journal of my trials and errors, and basic crooked path to find a balanced and peaceful existence for myself and my family. Thanks for your interest! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Friday, June 25, 2010

All-Natural Bug Spray

Recently I received a newsletter from Amara Wellness, LLC, a company founded by Amara Wagner, a holistic health counselor based out of Bergen County, New Jersey. (Read more about Amara here) In the newsletter, Amara shared the recipe for an all-natural bug spray. Yeah! I have been using a natural spray I bought from a health store which cost a fortune. I've also used Purification essential oil mixed with sweet almond, with some success. But I was thrilled to find this recipe, made from essential oils I have on hand! Here's the recipe:






4 oz. spray bottle (glass if possible)
10-15 drops Purification®
3 drops peppermint
3 drops Thieves®
3-4 drops rose (optional, best for ticks)
1 oz. vodka
3 oz. water


The Purification and Thieves essential oils blends are sold by Young Living. I had everything on hand except for the vodka and the rose oil. I am making my first batch without the rose oil, which is incredibly expensive if you purchase it from Young Living, which is what Amara recommends. She has generously offered to send me 4 drops of rose oil for my mix.

I will be giving the spray its first trial run today, as we head down to grandma's for a cookout. I will post back! The real test, however, will come next week as the kids and I head to the farm for our second day of volunteering in the fields. Boy was it buggy the first time we went!!! Anyhow, I look forward to putting this recipe through its paces, and I will report back!

If anyone is interested in obtaining some of the essential oils blends to try this spray, I can help you with that by either ordering them for you, hooking you up with joining Young Living using my member number, or maybe even mixing a batch for you. Leave me a comment...

By the way, it is not necessary to use expensive vodka!!! Hubby got in on the act and chose something he would enjoy using as well. LOL! ;)

UPDATE: We used this spray the other day before playing outside on a playground at my mother-in-law's house, which is surrounded by thick woods. Although my son and I received no bug bites, my daughter did receive a couple of bites, and I had a bug that would not stop buzzing around my head! Argh! Perhaps I did not use enough. I am not giving up yet....we will test the spray at the farm this coming week.

Another UPDATE: I have been using this bug spray for a couple of weeks, and it has done NOTHING to keep the bugs from biting my daughter. She still ends up covered. I am disappointed. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment